Ethos & values
The Women's Centre Cornwall is run by women, for women. We aim to empower and enable all women and girls to gain the health and wellbeing and confidence and skills to achieve their potential and become stronger and more independent. We do this by providing a safe, caring and supportive environment in which women can get support and services; take part in groups, training and activities or campaign and become active in bringing about change.
Our vision is a world where women take their rightful place in a just and fair society, free from inequality, violence and oppression.
As an organization working from a women-centred perspective, we believe that all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) are an abuse of power and that no woman should ever be blamed for being abused. By working to a feminist understanding of VAWG, The Women's Centre Cornwall recognizes the imbalance of power relations between men and women within society and works to promote substantive equality. This form of equality recognises the embedded structural nature of discrimination and addresses equality of results as well as equality of opportunity. It recognises that women and men may need to be treated differently in order to benefit equally.
We also recognise that violence against women and girls is a cause and consequence of gender inequality. Gender based violence requires a gender specific, evidence-based response. Discrimination against women violates the principles of equality of rights and respect for human dignity.
We believe that by providing women-only space this challenges structures which have historically discriminated against women and girls.
The Women’s Centre Cornwall acknowledges that particular groups of women are affected differently by the compound effects of past and continuing inequalities based on gender, sexuality, disability, faith, age, ethnicity, economic situation and other status and proactively work towards making services available and accessible to all women.
We aim to encourage all women to be involved in and to contribute to the direction and priorities of the organization. We will work in an inclusive and participatory manner and support and facilitate women and girls to be involved at all levels of policy and decision making. Women and girls are supported to speak in their own voices about their own experiences and reality.
All women and girls are supported in their choices with regard to their human rights including sexual health, reproductive rights and the right to safe abortion.
All of the Women's Centre Cornwall's support work is based on a ‘women-centred’ empowerment model used by a range of service providers including Rape Crisis England and Wales and Women’s Aid.
- We are inclusive, accessible, welcoming and provide services to all women, regardless of age, race, disability, religion and belief, sexuality or any other relevant factor.
- We are responsive, listening to the needs of women and their children and targeting services and resources to meet the needs of the women who need us the most.
- We believe in person-centred solutions, recognising that each woman has unique needs and a unique background, and we tailor our services as a result.
- We are partners, recognising that more is achieved through collaboration and co-operation than competition; we will work with other organisations which share our values to achieve more for women and children.
- We are stewards, taking great care of the resources entrusted to us by others, whether this is money, time or trust, and we are open and transparent in our reporting.
- We listen, learn and adapt, involving our stakeholders in what we do and how we do it; we seek feedback and say sorry and put things right if something has gone wrong.
- We are professional, aiming for excellence in everything we do.
- We are positive, about the women and children we work with, about the opportunities we can create and the amazing things that we can achieve together.
Please help us
Donate now to The Women's Centre Cornwall.
Your donation, large or small, can make a real difference.